How does Explain comply with FERPA?
The most known federal law securing student data in the U.S. is FERPA - The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. It applies to any public and charter school and some private or parochial as well. Basically, a school should comply with FERPA and in this way you can be sure that student data is protected.
If your school complies with FERPA and uses Explain Everything Services, you can be reassured it works entirely in accordance with FERPA regulations. We don’t collect nor store any personally-identifiable or directory information without consents and permissions.
As an Administrator of a Group Account, you don’t even have to provide your Members’ emails or names.
How does Explain comply with GDPR?
Another system of data collecting and processing regulation is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). We ensure that all our services and joint-services (such as EE Parent, EE Discover or EE Sales) are compliant with GDPR (as, quite simply, we are obligated to comply).
Note Being compliant with GDPR (which is EU legislation) is actually beneficial to any other nation’s users.
Explain Everything may not collect nor use any personal data of students (if you so choose), regardless to their age (check the EDU Group Plans for educational uses).
Any personal data we process is to simply provide Explain Everything services. It only concerns information such as: user name, email, password and user ID (which is anonymous). We do this with compliance to voluntary consents and the rule of law, i.e. billing information processing is compliant with tax law.
Whenever a person is registering with Explain Everything services, all of the purposes of certain data processing are described in each consent.
We also act as a Data Controller or Data Processor, where terms are regulated by GDPR art. 28.
Note We don’t rent nor sell any Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information to anyone.
How we protect students
We make sure that pupils, especially those who are under 13, are protected when using Explain Everything.
- We won’t collect even limited Children’s Personal Information unless it’s been contracted with a school, district and/or teacher and it’s only for the use and benefit of the learning environment.
- We strictly recommend that students over the age of 13 ask their parents or guardians for permission before they send any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet.
- An Admin of a Group EDU Account has multiple options to not share any student email or name.
- Members of your Group Account may use the offline-mode application and never connect to any cloud, so their work is not accessible.
- You have the right to withdraw any consent you have given at any time.
The protection of your copyrights
Explain Everything cooperates with a Copyright Agent who is ready to act in the case of any misuse of your copyright. If your submission is reviewed and accepted (pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) we will take proper actions, such as removal or disabling access to the infringing material, notifying you about it and terminating the offender.